Tuesday 21 September 2010

what is graphic design?


dir. Julia Pott.

In honour of starting things with a bang, I have decided to blog Julia Pott's beautiful and poignant animated short film (to contribute to the motion graphics work I have decided to collect and research for this project- along with publishing/editorial graphics, and poster/promotional design graphics.

I have been a fan of Julia's artwork for quite some time, but it was only today that I sourced out her animation for the first time, and was so delighted that I did.

She blends a heart-warming subject of which we can all relate with a unique and distinctive character design, notable for her use of pastel tones and animals of all shapes and sizes.

Before discovering Julia's work I believe that my graphic and illustrative taste was quite narrow-minded, and often found myself only really appreciating perfectly clean-lined art work, almost as if it had been factory-made.

How times change. Julia, along with many other skilled designers and artists have really opened my eyes to hand-rendered effects and aesthetics, and now I can think of nothing more delightful, and not only appreciate, but practice this method as much as I possibly can.

I particularly love Julia's mixture of typography throughout this animation- text and colours that you would rarely see together seem to work perfectly among the abstract scenes of animals whispering sweet nothings to one another on the telephone, and unicorn's mourning almost lovers.

In the past, I have found my patience for creating animation to be somewhat limited, but this has truly inspired me, and now feel that this art is something that I would really love to be a part of.


"appropriate, creative, obsessive, frustrating, organised, structured...design lives in the detail."

No comments:

Post a Comment