Wednesday 22 September 2010

what is graphic design?



Take me riding in the car, car...

During an animation project I studied during my two years on a National Diploma Art & Design BTEC, we were asked to research and review any particular animation or motion graphics that particularly caught our eye, whether it be negative or positive.

For me, this quirky, charming advertisement for the Audi Q5 was certainly the latter.

Even to this day, this two year old piece of film is one of my favourite adverts, as it's simplicity, I believe, really does speak volumues.

I really love the combination of materials used in this advert- the illustrative animation, the cardboard net relief which gets constructed into the car, and then, of course, the photographic film to showcase the "finishing outcome" of the Audi Q5.

Aside from being very memorable and as I mentioned before, charmingly unique, the animated character really cements the message that Audi are trying to get across- that each car is made, inspected and created with the upmost care and attention to detail- just as this character shows.
Each car is put together perfectly, and upon this view, you can depend.

I still believe, two years on, that this advertisement is truly refreshing and shows motion graphics in a wonderful light. The playful, almost child-like construction and delivery of the animation takes away the "hard-nosed" edge that businesses (in this case, car manufacturer, Audi) often have, whilst still providing a service you will, undoubtedly remember.

"graphic design is...the effective delivery of a message, idea, or concept through the use of visual language."

No comments:

Post a Comment