Monday 7 May 2012

Design Practice II//Product/Range/Distribution//Penguin books.



Doing a bit of research in looking for examples of existing book cover designs by publishing house, Penguin, in the documented cover books, 'Seven Hundred Penguins' and 'Penguin By Design: A Cover Story: 1935-2005', looking for inspiration for generating my own cover designs, and what may suit the existing multitude of publications. However, as I am looking at publishing under 'Puffin' (the same publishing house, but targeted at a slightly younger target market), this is an important factor to take into consideration when creating my designs, and the visual communication that will be most appropriate.

Considering my aspirations to work with monochrome laser cut, illustrative designs (which would then go on to be scanned into my designs), it was really interesting to see the bold, vector- like style used on a lot of the covers, as well as the cameo- like silhouette that I am particularly aiming to achieve myself. Also interesting to see how commonly repeat pattern design has been used- certainly something to consider with my own designs, and seeing what effect can be achieved within my design and product range.


No comments:

Post a Comment