Sunday 23 September 2012

Design Practice III//Negotiated Briefs//Urban Beekeeping & Popular Culture (Pushing Daisies).



Image Source

In terms of a little background information as to the conception of the urban beekeeping brief that I have written for myself, I first became interested in the practice of beekeeping in a serious way in 2007, funnily enough, through a television programme, 'Pushing Daisies', a quirky, colourful, detective drama series on American broadcasting channel, ABC, in which, amongst many characters, actress Anna Friel played Charlotte 'Chuck' Charles, a beekeeper and the love of lead character, Ned's life, bought back from the dead (quirky with a capital 'Q').

Although from very simple beginnings, this "glamorisation" of beekeeping gave me interest to learn more, and discover about these hard-working and, often, misunderstood, gentle animals. 

From my own initial insight into the world of beekeeping (and, in particular, urban beekeeping), one of my main aims from the project is to promote beekeeping to a much wider audience and to add a little "glamour" through high-end, considered branding and promotion which will help to teach and engage others and help to popularise the practice even more so that it has in the past few years.

After extensive research into the practice, and the curent market, I hope to swiftly move on to concept and design development, as well as completing my written brief- all evidence of which can be found on both my Design Context and Design Practice blogs.


Image Source


Image Source


Image Source


Image Source


Image Source



No comments:

Post a Comment