Saturday 24 November 2012

Design Practice III//UK Greetings & YCN 2012-13 Market Research.



paperchase.co.uk/page/home

Researching the existing market for greetings cards as part of my UK Greetings/YCN 2013 brief.
For my range, I have decided to work around the themes of love, with the target market of 18-30 year old women, who are either in relationships or newly weds/with young families. As the female target market for card purchasing is by far the largest, I felt this would be a great audience, and to celebrate love in all it's forms, as it is, of course, so universal- be it friendship love, marital love, an unconditional love or the first signs of love in romance. 
Whilst researching various high street and online retailers such as Paperchase, Clinton cards and Funky Pigeon (see links and screenshots above and below) I found that the majority of cards, to put it bluntly, weren't very tasteful (Paperchase being the particular exception) and often very gimmicky and cliche, which I don't feel necessarily represents the variants of love and it's personal meaning to each individual. 
I have decided through my initial design development (see my Design Practice blog for more details) that I would like to focus on create a boutique range of designs with a focus on the mid- high-end price range/market, and develop a range of cards that fit into the themes of "love for any occasion" (be it an anniversary, valentines, just to say... etc), with a calligraphic style of text in quirky and heartfelt messages that run throughout with a minimal, graphic style, which can also be applied to gift wraps and gift bags respectively.

Really excited to get well and truly started with the design outcomes, going to be a busy weekend!


whsmith.co.uk


clintoncards.co.uk


hallmark.com


funkypigeon.com


moonpig.com


No comments:

Post a Comment